How to be a Manager – Summary
The Summary of „How to be a Manager: A Practical Guide to Tips and Techniques“ by Robert W. Gallant
A good manager concentrates on:
- Establishing the correct strategy,
- Developing people,
- Generating momentum.
Strategy is „Working on the right thing for the right reasons in the right way with the right people at the right time”.
- What needs to be accomplished?
- How it will be accomplished?
- What are the rewards, risks and alternatives?
- Who will accomplish it?
- When will it be accomplished?
- What resources are needed?
You must know who your customers are and what their expectations are. The purpose of strategy is to satisfy the customer expectations better than anyone else – a competitive edge:
- Quality performance
- Continuous improvement
- What it takes to be the best
- Create a strategy to achieve that
Developing people means providing them with the:
- and opportunities to be the best they can be.
Reward them with:
- Financial compensation.
Generating the momentum – Making things happen on a timely basis.
Opportunity windows – where the odds of success are greater and the risk of failure is less. Take advantage of them! Create them yourself!
Generate momentum by:
- Intolerance of delays,
- Expecting to succeed,
- Giving credit to others,
- Going after the toughest goals.
Keep control of momentum: Purpose is to provide thrust. Keep control of momentum!
All three tasks are accomplished by practicing these characteristics:
- Use Time Banking
- Reduce repetitious tasks,
- Solve and eliminate recurring problems,
- Provide time for assuming responsibility for additional productive and creative projects.
- Strategy is right and understood by everyone,
- Listen to the people; respect their opinions and concerns. Everyone should be involved in eliminating the cause of problems and inefficiencies,
- Measure! Identify the cause of problems. What projects offer the most opportunity for improvement?
- Set priorities for people and resources!
- Small problems intolerance!
- High standards of performance!
- Use authority appropriately. “No boss” atmosphere.
- Ask for criticism from managers during the presentations.
- Control the risk!
- Create appropriate changes!
- Acknowledge mistakes and problems. Solve them! Learn from them!
- Continuous training to develop people.
- Negotiate for a win-win result.
- High personal integrity and ethics as absolute requirement.
- Practice ethics that benefit everyone. Everybody should enjoy working for the company.
- Don’t become preoccupied. Stay focused!